Choosing an SEO Services Company
: Ignore the ‘Top’ Lists
You finally gave up DIY-ing website optimization and gave in to the idea of hiring an SEO services company to pull you up from the bottom of search listings. But guess what? Hundreds (if not thousands) of competitors are vying for your business, and they probably hired an SEO company, too. If you want to beat them, you need to hire a reliable search optimization firm that can truly deliver. There are so many so-called ‘legit’ firms out there, but not all of them can truly improve your rank. This is why you should be careful researching and weighing your options.
Whatever you do, do not believe ‘top SEO’ lists and surveys. Notice how they never seem to agree on what companies really deserve to be in the top 10? As it turns out, they may not be as reliable and as ‘official’ as they may seem. These ‘top 10’ lists are good sources of names and candidates for your search, but you should take their suggestions with a grain of salt.
Try looking at and comparing different top SEO services company lists on your own and you will rarely find the same companies on the top spots, much less any one repeated instance of a company's name. Here’s the truth: Many top listings are limited not only in the scope of the list-maker's community, but in terms of criteria and qualifiers. They also often require paid inclusion, which makes them less than reliable resources.
Some lists are merely sponsored lists that other websites such as finance news websites, marketing firms, and similar sites collate with no real basis. These kinds of lists are often no more than avenues for self promotion. In fact, most of the time, are nothing but ‘you-link-to-me, I-link-to-you’ relationships.
Don't put too much value on the glitzy ‘Top 10 SEOs’ badge sponsored by BuyYourCredibility.com that you see in SEO websites. Instead, look for more qualitative signals that can help you make an informed decision whether or not to trust your prospective SEO services company. Here are some to get you started:
1. Good case studies (and testimonials) from previous clients along with contacts from like websites who are in the same niche or industry. These things will help ensure that the company can take on your work.
2. Sparkling reputation (based on previous and current clients). You may also check on the status of their repute in the online community. These will give you an idea of the quality and reliability of the work they do.
3. Realistic offers. Be wary of outrageous guarantees and too-good-to-be true offerings. If a company promises you overnight success, do not hire it.
4. Site rankings and standings. Their own rankings, backlink count, community engagement, and domain authority are all indicative of their worth as an SEO company.
5. Up-to-date methodologies. Do they address the new trends post-Panda? Can they also do social media optimization?
6. Industry visibility and authority. Google the name of their founders and see if they are respected in the SEO community.