Profile of an Expert in SEO Services
SEO specialists have milestones to achieve in climbing the ladder up to ‘expert.’ They start as ‘novice optimizers’ who merely follow set rules and step by step guides, until they graduate into being ‘innovators’ with enough experience to explain the unexplained in the world of search optimization. So many people claim to offer expert SEO services
but sadly, more than half of them are lying.
Real experts who know SEO from inside out are quite harder to find, especially since search engine optimization is a multi-skilled discipline that doesn't only require technical skills and knowledge, but analytical and creative skills to analyze data sources and produce quality content that drives the site as well. These core skills and characteristics should be present in your SEO specialist or team of specialists, as there is rarely one person that possesses and is equally competent in all three.
‘Technical’ SEOs are those that are knowledgeable in writing computer codes and all the ins and outs of a website's back-end. ‘Creative’ SEOs have the editorial skills not only to write and create engaging content that users respond to, but incorporate important elements that make SEO work. ‘Analytical’ SEOs on the other hand have the ability to study, analyze, and evaluate inconsistent and often ambiguous data from multiple sources in order to diagnose problems and craft solutions for the rest of the technical and creative team to implement. Only when someone has all three skill sets can he/she claim to be someone who can offer expert SEO services.
In SEO, just like any other career, there is also a skill ladder to climb plus experiences to go through before one can be called an expert:
1. Novice SEO — A novice in the field of SEO knows all the basic principles and can follow set rules and step by step instructions laid out by more experienced professionals before them. They know that they should include primary and secondary target keywords in the certain places.
2. Advanced beginner SEO— Unlike the novice, the advanced beginner has enough experience to decide which rules to adapt to certain situations and cases they are working in. Instead of blindly following the rules, they know when to use them appropriately and won't use keywords when they shouldn't.
3. Competent SEO — Competent SEOs know how to cope with the many guidelines and rules they have encountered and learned throughout their years of doing SEO as well as how to adapt them according to the circumstances they are in. They know how to skilled in determining why the site is not performing as they should on search engines, and have higher level of confidence in designing ways to achieve goals.
4. Proficient SEO — Proficient SEOs are not only competent in determining problems, but are proficient in addressing them. They can diagnose site issues quickly and they know how to prioritize strategies. They know a lot, but they also know that they still have a lot to learn about the industry.
5. Expert SEO— Expertise comes with years of experience, learning, unlearning, and relearning principles as well as practicing what you know. Expert SEOs can look at most websites and immediately know what they need in terms of SEO, with the exception of some tough cases and sites that have obscure problems. They can regain balance and control of the site with even the smallest of cues, and know how to explain what they do to clients in words that they can understand.
6. SEO Innovator — When an expert reaches the state where he can articulate explanations of the previously unexplained workings of SEO, he becomes an innovator.